idea of establishing a collegiate school to raise educational
standards in the Gold
Coast was first mooted in 1865 but it was not until 1876 that
The Wesleyan High School was established in Cape Coast with donations
from local businessmen and the support of the Methodist Missionary
Society in London.
Faithful Eight & Rev. Balmer
school was established to train teachers and began with 17 pupils.
It was originally planned to be sited at Accra because the British
Government had by 1870 decided to move the capital of the Gold
Coast from Cape Coast to Accra.
local agitation and the urgent need to put the idea into practice
after eleven years of debate pressurised the Government to allow
the school to begin functioning but on the understanding that
it would later be moved to Accra. If that had happened it would
not have been called "Mfantsipim" since the name means "a countless
number of Fantes".
Mfantsipim was the first secondary school to be established in
the Gold Coast and in 1931 it moved to its present location at
Kwabotwe Hill in the northern part of the Town, at the top of
Kotokuraba Road, Cape Coast. The school sometimes has been referred
to as 'Kwabotwe' for that reason.
It has turned out some of the country’s best known public figures
in all walks of life, men such as Alex Quaison-Sackey, former
President of the General Assembly of UNO, Dr. K A Busia, the first
African to occupy a Chair in the Hague and a former Head of State.
It was deemed to be a Grammar School because Latin and Greek were
taught but the school also offered carpentry, art and crafts and
it has always been known as Mfantsipim School. It was an all boys
boarding school although the intake included a small number of
"day students", that is pupils who attended school from home.
Kwesi Kay (MOBA 1961)
The Edumfa Library